Monday = Surgery Day

We've decided to go ahead and do surgery on Monday. It's going to a big day for him.

We're going to scale his teeth to get some of the plaque and tartar off, neuter him, microchip him, and of course, xray his hips to ensure it's not just atrophy (lack of muscle) that can cause his funny gait.

We're also going to give him another skin scrap to compare the number of demodex mites, as well as checking again for sarcoptic mites. He's also due for another sarcoptic treatment on Monday, and we'll do it even though we may not find any mites. He's to get a demodex treatment tomorrow.

We're going to go ahead and dive in with this. There's so many things we want to do while he's out, and we're kind of thinking that doing it now will be better than waiting until he's 100% healed.

The reasoning? If we do it now, his immune system lowers and he may or may not have a flare up of the demodex. We're giving him a demodex treatment a few days before surgery to hopefully help curb some of those mites that may come out. If we wait until he is 100%, and gets all of his hair and looks amazing and then do surgery...he may have a flare up and get bald patches again.

I don't want him to go through that again. I want him to gradually get better, even if he has a flare up now. I'd rather now than later...and having to start over from the beginning.

EDIT - I also wanted to add that Tad weighs 48lbs today!


  1. Solid reasoning. I'll keep him him my thoughts on Monday (like he isn't there anyway ;-) ).

  2. I hope everything will go well monday. And it's a good idea to do it now.
    Wow 48lbs! Thats a very good news!
    Give him a big hug for me!
    Hug to you too :D

  3. You are taking amazing care of Tad and it is a pleasure to see him getting better day by day!

  4. Tiffany, You are just the "BEST Mama" to sweet Tad. He is such a LUCKY boy :o)