8/22/14

Our Options

I wanted to get the bunny healthy enough to have her eye surgically removed. I wanted to fix her, find her an amazing home where she could live happily ever after, and never have to suffer the cruelty of some humans again. ...that is what I wanted for her. Not for me. Not for you. For her. She deserved at least that.

Unfortunately, I can't give her that...I mean, I can...and I will...and I have...but, it isn't as long as I had hoped for her.

As you know, her eye socket is shattered...absolutely demolished. They eye, within that socket, needs to be surgically removed as it is a constant source of infection for her body. However, the area we were most concerned about was her jaw. I got the news a few days ago and it was...heartbreaking, to say the very least.

She has a fracture, from what I can understand, in the 'hinge' of her jaw on the right side. This is why her teeth don't line up. How she eats hard pellets and hard food is absolutely a mystery...anything to survive; animals are such amazing beings.

So, how do we fix that? Unfortunately, the only fix for this type of fracture is...to put it plainly, not recommended by any specialist that has seen her case thus far. It would be an incredibly risky surgery and would require complete removal of the mandible (the entire lower jaw bone). She would only be allowed to eat mush and would need to be sedated every two months to have her teeth filed down to avoid abscesses and other dental problems resulting from the surgery. This would have to be done by a specialist and would likely cost a few grand.

If we opt to not remove the mandible (which I have decided we are not doing), we have a few options.

Option 1 : Euthanasia. The final kindness. Her face is smashed, she took a serious blow to the face, and we should just end the suffering.

Option 2 : She eats. She explores. She grooms. She's on pain medication and antibiotics and is an otherwise completely normal bunny. Leave her be. No surgery, keep her maintained on medication until either the infection is no longer kept under wraps with the antibiotics or until the jaw bone fuses (through the healing process) and her jaw locks. (This will happen if the mandible is not removed. There is no way around it.)

Option 3 : Same as Option 2, however...we gather up about $700 (currently her account is $500 short) and remove the eye, do nothing for the jaw, but simply remove the eye. We get the infection under wraps, but cross our fingers that it will be a long time for the jaw to fuse. I cannot give a 'time frame' for how long until that happens. Could be weeks...months...could be a few years. There is also a high possibility that she would not make it through surgery. Rabbits are delicate and sensitive to anesthesia; surgery to remove the eye may kill her, even with an experienced rabbit doctor. If she survives surgery, she will still need to be sedated every two - three months to have her molars ground down, as her jaw does/will not meet and therefore her teeth are/will not stay filed down.

Where am I sitting...? Option 2, honestly. I cannot cut her short...not just yet. Not today. She has been shorted once before by a human; I won't be the second so soon. Crazy weird things happen in the animal world every day. I'm not saying her jaw isn't going to lock, it will...it absolutely will. But, what if it goes on another year or so? ...of course, this doesn't take into consideration the filing of the teeth...I would like to cross that bridge then, if we get to it.

I am not made of money. I do a job that I love and wouldn't trade for the world, but it doesn't pay very much. I have my own problems...my own worries...other animals who require in-depth special care. Take that into consideration if you decide to tell me that I am horrible for not rushing her to a specialist right now. If you would like to donate a few grand to do a surgery that she will likely not wake up from, be my guest. She has everything she needs; and she is living a heck of a lot better life than what I imagine she had.

I hope that with the information provided, you guys can make educated decisions on what you think I should do. I am torn between Option 1 and Option 2, but am certainly leading more towards Option 2. Thoughts?

13 comments:

  1. I say #2. I have had several bunnies. With my last one, I discovered a lump on her cheek. Of course, I had to find out what it was. It was a 2nd mouth, with teeth. I should have stopped @ the xray because she was fine. But no, I had to have it removed - there were reasons of what could/would happen. She was a fighter to the end and I took care of her everyday. BUT, I should I chosen #2 and I will in the future if something a long the same lines comes up with another bunny/animal. As long as she is not in pain and enjoying her life, I say let her be. It sucks this happened to her, but if it can be managed, I vote for that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart. What a horrible situation. Please know that I, for one, do not judge you. The time and love that you have given this little bunny is remarkable and probably the most she's ever experienced. Should God decide it's her time, she will cross the bridge knowing love and care from someone wirth a beautiful soul and great capacity for love in their heart. . I agree with you. ... option #2. When her time comes and it's unbearable for her. .. she will quietly go to a much deserved peaceful sleep. Wish more animals could be lucky enough to have you as their guardian Angel. Prayers to and for you and all the wonderful selfless work you do. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Tiffany - Option #2 seems best. And surely no one would dare to disrespect you by questioning whatever decision you make - you, who bestow such unconditional and all-encompassing love on every needy creature that crosses your path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see only two good options...1 and 2. Personally, I've never been able to take that final step until it is the ONLY choice left. When the fur child's life is no longer fulfilling and happy, then it is time to say goodbye. For what it's worth, I think you're leaning in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Option 2 is what I would do. She'll let you know if it's that time or not. Nature has her own plan and ways of healing or surviving

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going with #2. You have always made the correct decision Tiff, based on what is best for the living creature. I think that until she is in pain or can't eat she will be just fine with you in her life. She does have Tad the Guard pup too, can't forget about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take number 2. Let nature take it's course. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. there are some humans that did not take surgery for a fracture of the hinge of the jaw and have been working with ostepaths and dentist for avoiding fusion. i do not know if this is possible on the anatomy of a bunny but some specialist in those fields maybe interested in the case and give an extra opinion about: these are very rare cases and any "alternative" idea can be fo some help. Best whishes for you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been following the progress of the bunny since the first posting.Such a pretty baby. If the bun is enjoying herself and being a bunny let her. You and Tad will watch her till her time.Bun will tell you when that is.You have done wonderfully in giving her a 2nd chance.To know real love,kindness, and companionship so let her enjoy it! Granted letting her go will be hard but think of the appreciation that Bun will have for the love and time you did give her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with everyone, option two. At present Bunny is pain free and content, and the present is all we have. Every day is a blessing. Trust your instincts, you know what's right Mary-Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://akumabel.blogspot.com/2010/06/drug-baron-nabbed-in-usa.html
    http://allafrica.com/stories/200609120014.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post i read your article is superb . This is given good information , We are givening The Official Dogecoin Forum to interact with other Shibes about the hottest cryptocurrency for doges. If you want to know more Please Click Here
    Dogecoin

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post. it is just too much amazing simply hats off for you.dog food recipes

    ReplyDelete